Sunday 13 July 2014

'I'm gay,' Ian Thorpe tells Parkinson

Legendary Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe has revealed he is gay in an interview with Michael Parkinson.



Thorpe is widely reported to have made the revelation during an interview with Parkinson on Australian’s Channel 10.

Although no transcript has been made available for the show which airs on Sunday night, a preview video contains Parkinson asking the swimmer: “You've always said that you're not gay... is all of that true?”

According to the Australian Daily Telegraph: “It’s understood the interview, which Parkinson has described as one of the best he has ever conducted, includes a full admission from Thorpe that he is gay despite having dated women in the past.

“In the emotional sit-down shot last month, Thorpe also details the years of depression he has battled while denying his sexuality from the world.”

Parkinson himself said of the interview with the five-time Olympic champion: “I think his sexuality is no one’s business but his own. But I think it’s one of the best interviews I have ever done in terms of (Thorpe) talking about depression and things like that.”

Thorpe’s sexuality has been a persistent talking point throughout his remarkable career.

In his 2012 autobiography, This Is Me, Thorpe addressed the matter head on: ''For the record, I am not gay and all my sexual experiences have been straight.

“I'm attracted to women, I love children and aspire to have a family one day … I know what it's like to grow up and be told what your sexuality is, then realising that it's not the full reality. I was accused of being gay before I knew who I was.''

In February, Thorpe's manager confirmed the Australian hero had been admitted to rehab after suffering from depression.

Police were called after Thorpe was found disorientated and behaving oddly and the 31-year-old was taken to hospital.

Source: Eurosport 

No comments:

Post a Comment