Friday 25 April 2014

Giggs thanks Moyes, confirms he will still play


Ryan Giggs has described being named as Manchester United caretaker manager as "the proudest moment of my life"


Giggs gave his thoughts to MUTV and then held a press conference on the eve of his first match in charge against Norwich City.

Before taking questions from the media Giggs said that he would "like to thank (David) Moyes for giving me my first role in coaching."

However, according to Ben Smith of the BBC, the assembled media were warned not to ask Giggs about Moyes.


Giggs confirmed he would still be part of the playing squad until the rest of the season and joked "I've just given myself a five year contract."

When asked if he wanted the job full time, Giggs simply stated that he was "just focusing on these four games."

Speaking earlier to the club's in-house channel MUTV, Giggs outlined what being given the job meant to him.

"I've got to say this is the proudest moment of my life. The club has been the biggest part of my life since I was 14.

"I'm proud, happy, a little bit nervous, but just like I am as a player, I can’t wait for the game on Saturday.

"My first phone call was to Scholesy. I asked Nicky [Butt] to come up and help us with the first team. I know how much the club means to these people (Phil Neville, Butt and Scholes)."

Giggs also said his message to the players was: "I trust you, I know what you’re capable of. Give the fans something to shout about – score goals, make tackles. That’s what they’ve done in training.

"We've got great players who are winners...I want the players to go out and enjoy it."

It is not only the players who Giggs wants to have fun: he also spoke of wanting fans to start enjoying their days at old Trafford once more.

"I want to bring back some smiles on the faces of the fans," he added. "I know the stadium will be bouncing.

The caretaker manager plans to get his stars playing an attractive brand of attacking football, starting with the match against Norwich at Old Trafford on Saturday.

"It's going to be my philosophy, Manchester United's philosophy because I have been here for all my career," said the Welshman of his approach.

"I want the players to play with passion, speed, tempo, be brave, imagination. All the things I expect of a Manchester United player. Work hard but most of all enjoy it.

"As a player, if I know I am enjoying the game I can express myself a lot more. That's what I will be doing with the team tomorrow."

Giggs also said Sir Alex Ferguson was the first person to call him when he got the job and that he did seek advice from his former boss.

The Welshman also said he wanted to qualify for the Europa League. "We want European nights at Old Trafford... it is as simple as that," he said.



Source: Eurosport

No comments:

Post a Comment