Friday 8 May 2015

Memphis Depay: It was impossible to say no to Manchester United



PSV winger Memphis Depay, who will join Manchester United in the summer, said it was “impossible” to say no to the Old Trafford club.

The 21-year-old, who starred for Louis van Gaal’s Netherlands during the 2014 World Cup, helping them to the semi-finals, was PSV’s key man as they lifted their first Eredivisie title in seven years, and will now move to Old Trafford in the summer – subject to a medical. 

Prior to the announcement that he will depart Eindhoven for Manchester in the summer, there had been much speculation surrounding Depay’s future, but he has revealed that working with his former national boss played a big role in the decision to join United. 

"Working with Van Gaal again is a big bonus," he said to SEG Football. "For me Manchester United is an absolute dream club so I didn't need any convincing about the quality of the guys already there.

"I'm looking forward to playing alongside a few of my Dutch team-mates but also all the other players as well. You can't deny the interest of a club like Manchester United."

United’s Premier League rivals Liverpool and Ligue 1 giants PSG were also reportedly interested in securing his signature, but the Dutchman claims that he felt a move to Old Trafford was the right move for his career. 

"It's been an exciting and pretty hectic period," he added. "To have had to choose between so many top clubs doesn't make it any easier.

"You shouldn't believe everything you read though - this move was just about feeling, not about money."

Depay, who joined PSV at the age of 12, expressed his gratitude towards the club that allowed him to complete the dream switch.

"I've learned so much at PSV, not only on the pitch but also as a person," Depay continued. "That makes me grateful, but I really felt it was time for me to move on.

"I’m proud of winning this season's Dutch title with PSV. It’s something the fans deserved, and something I wanted so bad as well. I wish the club all the best for coming season, and hopefully they’re lifting a trophy again next year."

- Source: Eurosport 

No comments:

Post a Comment