Sunday 24 August 2014

Van Gaal: It will be 'miracle' if United win the title


Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal admits it will take a 'miracle' for his team to win the Premier League.

'I SHOULD BE JUDGED IN MY SECOND SEASON'

United started the season as third favourites for the title behind Manchester City and Chelsea, but the club's expectations were checked after a poor result and even worse performance against Swansea on the opening day of the season.

Now, in quotes carried by the Sunday newspapers, Van Gaal admits it will take something miraculous for United to win the title, although he is not ruling it out either.

"To win the league this season would be a miracle," admitted Van Gaal.

"But that isn't to say that it isn't possible. It is always possible, but it shall be very difficult.

"The Glazer family understand this or I would not have accepted this job. I have discussed everything with them. We have had long discussions where I have shown myself. I am always open to them.

"That is why we discussed three years, not one year. They wanted to know what are the consequences when you are hiring me - and I have told them.

"In my experience, in my former clubs, it was always that the start was very difficult."

Manchester United have already spent around £75m on three players this summer with Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera and Marcos Rojo coming in.

They are also expected to pay at least £56m to sign Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid while Sunday's papers have linked the club with moves for Dutch pair Nigel De Jong and Daley Blind.

Van Gaal said that fans should not judge him on how Manchester United do this season.

"A manager should be judged in his second season," he added. "Nevertheless, what I have experienced [was that] I was champion in Barcelona and Munich in my first season.

"So, it is possible. What I did at Bayern Munich was a miracle because the team was not stable when I got there.

"When I took over from Bobby Robson at Barcelona, he had won three titles, so there was stability.

"The problem I have at United is that the selection is not balanced. There are five No.9s and six No.10s - and we don't have enough defenders."

Source: Eurosport 

No comments:

Post a Comment