Friday 27 February 2015

"I was victimised by authorities," says Borders manager

'Throughout this time I have felt very much victimised by the authorities,' said Borders bookstore manager Nik Raina Nik Abdul Aziz.

KUALA LUMPUR: "I felt very much victimised by the authorities, all this while."

This was the outcry by Borders bookstore manager Nik Raina Nik Abdul Aziz, who was acquitted by the Shariah High Court on Thursday on the charge of selling and distributing books deemed contrary to Islamic laws.

In a statement issued merely hours after her acquittal, Nik Raina said she may have appeared calm and brave but frankly, only God knows how she felt throughout her ordeal.

“Today (Thursday), marks the first time that I truly appreciate what it is like to have total freedom and for that I thank Allah (S.W.T.) for revealing the truth.

“I have, for three years, carried a very heavy burden that has deeply affected my parents and family. I am most relieved by the Syariah Court’s decision and hope that no one, especially my colleagues at Borders, of which almost 90 per cent are Malays and Muslims, would ever have to go through what I have gone through.

“There were parties who viewed me in negative light and it has been painful to see the trauma that my parents have been subjected to,” said Nik Raina.

The 39-year-old Nik Raina also said her family are deeply moved and equally relieved by the decision.

“We feel that we can now move on with our lives. I will continue to work at Borders as a Training Manager,” she said.

She also thanked those who have supported her throughout the case.

Nik Raina was arrested on May 30, 2012, and was charged under Section 13 of the Syariah Criminal Offences (Federal Territories) Act 1997 for the offence of "disseminating and distributing" by way of selling the books deemed contrary to Islamic law.

She was charged at the Syariah High Court on June 19, 2012.

On Dec 30 last year, the Court of Appeal ruled that the Federal Territory Islamic Religious Department's (Jawi) search and seizure of Canadian author, Irshad Manji's books at a Borders bookstore, was unlawful. 

- Source: Astro Awani 

No comments:

Post a Comment