Monday 20 July 2015

I was at Low Yat Plaza, and this is my take on what happened

Astro AWANI's Hafiz Marzukhi at the scene.

The recent incident which took place at Low Yat Plaza highlights the state of the relationship between various races in Malaysia.

I was there when the mob violence broke out, watching the ugly episode unfold before my very eyes.

I witnessed two (Chinese) pressmen being beaten up by the mob, and how we (other pressmen) ushered them towards safety.

There was no 'I am Malay, you are Chinese' sentiment there. As part of the close knit local media fraternity, we all look out for each other.

Despite all that was said (or posted and shared) on social media, I think unity among races in our country is still 'alright'.

I still sit and chat with my fellow Malaysians regardless of race. We eat rendang and ketupat together during Aidilfitri. In fact, some of my close friends are from different races.

However, 'alright' does not quite cut it. As Malaysians, its our duty to maintain the harmonious bond between different races.

Police officers securing the perimeter around Low Yat Plaza during the incident.

You would be ill-informed to think that what happened was purely racial, but I can't blame those who think race had something to do with it either.

Race relations today may not be what they used to be, but I choose to see the positive side of things. Don't blame me for being optimistic.

The main thing that needs change is our mindset.

My mother always taught me not to complain when I fail, because I may have not worked hard enough to succeed.

So, we need to stop blaming others for our collective shortcomings. If you want something, work for it.

We also need to break the notion of ethnic superiority. All men (and women) are created equal.

This ethnic supremacy thing has to stop. No one race is better than the other.

It all boils down to hard work, perseverance and a little bit of God-given talent. It has nothing to do with ethnicity.

So, if you somehow have the audacity to think that one race is better or smarter than another, I am sorry to say but I think you are delusional.

- Source: Hafiz Marzukhi, Astro Awani journalist 

No comments:

Post a Comment