Friday 5 September 2014

Di Maria letter to Madrid fans ‘the reason Falcao moved to United’


There has been much conjecture over Radamel Falcao’s shock move to Manchester United.

Of course, the intrigue to this move was furthered by a tweet sent by Falcao last Saturday apparently confirming his transfer to Real Madrid.

Falcao denied ever sending the offending tweet, claiming that it was a photoshop – a denial that didn’t wash with many.

Regardless of the tweet, it seemed that the Colombian was set for Madrid all summer, so why the sudden change?

Well, El Confidencial, a Spanish broadsheet, and one of the first publications to break the Falcao to United story, have reported that Angel Di Maria may have played a part in the move falling through.

Basically, Di Maria wrote a farewell letter to Real Madrid fans that was published in Spanish daily AS last week.

Amongst the usual outpouring of love for the fans, Di Maria had a few choice words for his former club.

Effectively, he blamed the club for his departure – a selection of the letter can be read below:


“My cycle at Real Madrid has come to an end. Unfortunately today I have to go but I want to make it clear that this was never my desire.

"I went to the World Cup after winning La Decima with the hope of getting some signal from the club but it never came. Many things and many lies were spoken. They always wanted to attribute the idea of leaving on me but that’s not what happened.

"Unfortunately my football isn’t liked by someone. The only thing I asked for is fairness. There are many things I value and many of them have nothing to do with my salary. I hope I can find them at Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs in the world and at which I’m hoping to make history."

The Madrid hierarchy were said to be furious with the letter and attributed the blame not only to Di Maria but also his agent, Jorge Mendes, who also represents Madrid players Cristiano Ronaldo, Pepe and Fabio Coentrao – and, most importantly, Falcao.

El Confidencial intimate that so enraged were Real with Di Maria’s outburst that, as a point of principle, they elected against doing business with Mendes again this summer, which, in turn, opened up the opportunity for Falcao to go to United.

This latest revelation came a day after Falcao’s father confirmed Real Madrid were in a position to sign the striker, but eventually chose not to.

Radamel Garcia did not go into detail why Real elected against the move, but that mystery may now be solved.

Source: Eurosport 

No comments:

Post a Comment