Saturday 7 February 2015

Van Gaal to contest FA charge for Cambridge comments


Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal will contest his Football Association charge for comments he made about the referee following the FA Cup match at Cambridge United.

United were held to a 0-0 draw by the fourth-tier side before winning the fourth-round replay 3-0 at Old Trafford on Tuesday.

Speaking at a press conference, he said: "I am not angry, I am very disappointed. For nearly 30 years I have been a trainer, coach or manager and I have never been charged.

"Up to now I don't think I said something wrong. I said in our press conference the same phrases, because I know in advance that everything is in favour of the underdog. It is always like that.

"I said it in front of the game and after the game, only in the meaning that that is the general feeling of everybody - everybody for the underdog.

"I cannot imagine the FA has charged me, but it is like that."

After the game at the Abbey Stadium on January 23, which ended 0-0, Van Gaal said: "You have seen the referee. It's always the same. Everywhere I have coached these games - and I have coached them also with other clubs - it's always the same."

Van Gaal had until Monday to respond to the charge, but has already decided he will fight it.

- Source: Reuters - PA Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment