Tuesday 3 September 2013

Pak Samad: I'm not hiding... I never run

Pak Samad: I'm not hiding... I never run

Hunted and wanted by the police, national laureate Datuk A. Samad Said today denied ever running away or hidding from the authorities.

“There are reports online quoting the Inspector-General of Police (Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar) as saying I am hiding from the police. But that’s not true, I have never run (away),” A. Samad, or Pak Samad, told Astro AWANI.

Earlier today, Khalid urged Pak Samad to surrender himself over his alleged involvement in a gathering on Aug 30, the eve of Merdeka Day, where the 'Sang Saka Malaya' flag was flown.

Yesterday, activists Hishamuddin Rais and Adam Adli were arrested under the Sedition Act over the flag waving incident. They were released at 3am today.

Continued Pak Samad: “Yesterday, I was walking on the streets, in the LRT, and at home. I have never gone anywhere that I don’t usually go.”

“No, there was no official order from the police, neither was there any calls or visits to my house,” he said.

Pak Samad further said that it was a false accusation that he was fleeing the police. “It’s not true to say that I am in hiding, and it is their assumption that I am involved.”

Asked if he feels that the flying of the Sang Saka Malaya flag was wrong, Pak Samad replied: “I don’t want to say it is not right or right.”

“Everyone has a right to speak his mind and express his stand, and I respect that. It may be so that if you are on the side of the police, it may be seen as wrong, and if you are on our side, may be it is right.”

Police are also investigating the unfurling of the Sang Saka Malaya flag under the National Flag Act 2012 and the National Anthem Act 1968.

A Bernama report today quoted academicians as saying that the flying of the controversial flags can be seen as a challenge to national sovereignty.

Gagasan Pendidikan Melayu Malaysia secretary-general Syed Anuar Syed Mohamad urged the government to revoke the national laureate title conferred on A. Samad Said.

A similar incident involving the 'Sang Saka Malaya' flag took place on the eve of last year's Merdeka Day, following which more than 400 police reports were lodged.

The 'Sang Saka Malaya' is a red and white flag with 12 yellow stars set in four columns reportedly proposed as Malaya's national flag by an association in the 1940s.

- Astro Awani 

No comments:

Post a Comment