Monday 16 June 2014

Paper Round: Rooney ‘fears for England starting place’



Wayne Rooney fears he could be dropped for England’s crunch match against Uruguay; while Roy Hodgson has had chastening words for Luis Suarez - the main stories making headlines in this morning's newspapers.

Rooney fears for England place: Wayne Rooney has conceded that he is facing a battle to keep his place the England team, report the Times. Rooney was asked at a press conference if he felt his position in the team was guaranteed. A little irked, the Manchester United man snapped: “Why would I feel my place in the team is guaranteed? I work hard to try and get into that team. I have never said my place is guaranteed. I don’t expect to play, but I work hard. I want to play. 

We have got a lot of good young players so we will all work hard. We all give the manager different options, different choices, and whoever he picks then I am sure we will all respect that.” These quotes have led numerous publications to suggest that Rooney feels his place is under threat. The Times report that " the emergence of Raheem Sterling has left him needing to work harder than ever to justify his inclusion."

Paper Round’s view: This is a bit of a non-story. Basically Rooney was asked a loaded question and provided a diplomatic answer. The obsession with Rooney could actually end up derailing England’s World Cup campaign. Against Italy he was not at his best but was not as bad as some have made out. He should certainly start for England and the rest is just conjecture.


Source: Eurosport, June 16, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment